.java

musings on java and object oriented software development

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

PowerBook narcolepsy - Part II

My sincere apologies to those who have posted comments on this issue and I've not published them. I hadn't received any comments because I think when blogger changed their account management to be part of the Google framework, they forced people to re associate their accounts with the blogs. In the mean time, no comments go through to my gmail account. I hadn't logged in for a while and only noticed this today.

Anyway, I've been away from this blog for a while and have been running my PBook for almost 10 months now and it is has not spontaneously caught on fire !

The rough guide ( this was back in October 2006 so my memory is a little hazy):

The crucial bit is in the xnu source, in
iokit/Kernel/IOPMrootDomain.cpp look for the "emergency overtemp signal" line.

I just commented out the sleepSystem() call, though in theory you could write something better to deal with it.

You'll need to get : [ this list is probably a little out of date, I'm currently running 10.4.10 but still with the patched kernel ]

IOKitUser-277.8
Libstreams-24.1
bootstrap-cmds-49
cctools-622.5.1
kext_tools-65.2.1
switch_kernel.sh
xnu-792.12.6

from the apple opensource site and build the kernel corresponding to
Apples instructions (which may not fully work for you).

You'll need to tell the boot loader to use the new kernel, so you'll have to do something like this (this differs per system)

nvram boot-file="pci2/ata-6@D/@0:3,mach_kernel_10_4_8"
reboot

You can get this figure by typing

nvram boot-device

and using the bit before the comma, e.g. mine says pci2/ata-6@D/@0:3,\\:tbxi

----------
Objectopia.org

3 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Hilversum said...

Is "switch_kernel.sh" correct? I can't find it at the Apple dev connection or even with a Google search...

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Chris Burnley said...

Sorry, switch_kernel.sh is my script for changing the kernel image

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Chris said...

would you be willing to produce a download-able kernel? I am hesitant to try this myself based on your brief description. This is not meant to be an offense, however I am just not very good with Macs yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home